Thursday, April 8, 2010

Kiki's Delivery Service

This film is definitely a coming of age film. It is about Kiki learning to control her powers and to be at one with them. Susan Napier notes in Anime: From Akira to Howl’s Moving Castle that Kiki does not lose her powers until she reaches the age of puberty where young girls start to become interested in boys. This is an interesting point because Kiki meets Ursula who went through the stages that Kiki goes through in the film.

Watching this film for the second time since I was a child, I thought there would be more magical aspects to the film. Other than Kiki flying in the sky, the only magic was when Kiki found another young witch and were flying over the young witch’s big city. The lights of the city were an attraction and it made me think of how a big city can see magical during the night. There are other things I want to mention but I plan to come back to the film later.

No comments:

Post a Comment